What Are Eyelash Extensions?
Eyelash extensions are individual strands of faux lashes expertly attached to each natural eyelash with a special medical grade adhesive. They are applied to the eyelashes themselves and never in direct contact with your skin.
The Lash Loft specializes in "Natural" and "Glamour" looks with various lash extension set application options available - "Classic", "Premium" & "Volume". Everything from naturally under-stated to extreme glamour is possible. It's all up to you.
We only use the highest quality faux lashes available on the market today. They range in thickness, curl shape, lash length and durability.
We are proud to say that we have some of the most talented technicians in New York City and beyond on staff. They are all fully licensed estheticians and do some really incredible work.
"Classic" vs "Premium"
The "Classic" set uses a lash that is round from the base to the tip. We have done our research and only use the highest quality lashes available.
The "Premium" set uses a lash that is actually "flat" or concave at the base which allows the lash to sit more comfortably on your natural round lash. While it is the same width as the classic lash, the material removed to make it "flat" at the base makes the premium lash lighter and more durable. Also, since more surface area of the premium lash is adhered to your natural lash, they also tend to last longer.
"Classic" Set vs "Volume" Set
The “Classic” lash technique is where we adhere a single faux lash to as many natural lashes as the client has in order to achieve the desired "Natural" or "Glamour" look. You can opt for the round "Classic" lash or upgrade to the flat "Premium" lash.
The “Volume” lash technique is where we adhere a combination of "2D" up to "5D" fans to as many natural lashes as the client has in order to achieve the desired “Natural Volume” or "Glamour Volume" look. The "Natural Volume" set uses primarily 2D and 3D fans while the "Glamour Volume" set uses up to 4D and 5D fans in order to maximize fullness.
Natural Eyelash Facts...
The upper eyelid has approximately 90-150 eyelashes on it, while the bottom has between 70 – 80 eyelashes. Most eyelashes grow to be about 10mm long, just over 3/8 of an inch.
Three Phases of the Lash Growth Cycle...
Even though it may not seem like it, every hair on your body has a growth cycle. It will grow to a specific length and eventually reach its full cycle, and then fall out. There are three phases to all hair growth cycle, even eyelashes:
1. Active Growth Phase - Roughly 40% of the upper eyelashes are in active growth at any one time. This phase lasts 30 to 45 days.
2. Transitional Phase - During this phase, the eyelash stops growing and the follicle shrinks. This lasts 2 to 3 weeks.
3. Resting Phase - This phase can last over 100 days before the eyelashes fall out.
Important Note: Each individual eyelash is in its own cycle so there are some lashes in each phase at all times. As a result, most days at least a few eyelashes will fall out.
Do Eyelashes Grow Back?
Yes they do, but it might take a couple of months before you see them especially if you have interrupted the natural growth cycle in some way. For example, if you pull your eyelashes out, you will be without any visible eyelashes for a while before they grow back and get to the resting phase.
If you have been pulling your eyelashes out, the hair still has to finish its growth cycle. A new one will not grow in any faster, since the other hair was prematurely removed. Thus, potentially creating a less than full look for a while.
When you are wearing extensions, it's important not to pull or tug at them and put your natural lashes at risk.
However, do not fear. There are some excellent lash serums to help nurse your natural lash health back into shape!
How Long Will Extensions Last?
Realistically, eyelash extensions last 4 weeks, give or take a couple of weeks, falling out with the natural lash. Some will be lost within a couple of weeks as part of the natural cycle, so it is commonly required to get a refill every 2 to 3 weeks to maintain them.
Understanding the growth cycle of an eyelash is helpful to know. Since it's impossible to know which natural lash hairs are in which stage of the growth cycle, you should continually expect natural shedding to occur.
- Be gentle with your lashes. No touching, rubbing, water, sweat, or steam for 24 hours.
- Avoid running water directly on your lashes.
- Avoid oily products (including some sunscreen products) on or near your lashes.
- If you insist on mascara, only use water based mascara and apply it middle to tip avoiding root area.
- Use water based eye makeup remover only!
- Do not perm or curl your lashes.
- Avoid sleeping on your new eyelashes.
- Do not pull on your lashes – If you want them removed, please come back. A special removal agent is used that will protect your natural lashes.
- Maintain extensions with regular touch up appointments.
- Use a Lash Shampoo regularly to keep them clean - it will help them lash longer.
Extension Procedure Facts
- The procedure can take anywhere from 30 minutes for a refill to 90 minutes for a full set depending on client desire.
- The procedure is completely safe and non-intrusive – the lashes are applied to each individual eyelash and never in contact with the skin. Simply lay down in one of our comfortable beds and relax – listen to music, a book, or just nap (most popular!).
- If cared for properly, eyelash extensions can last up to 5 weeks. We will provide you with the simple instructions you need. There are natural products that we believe in and recommend as well to help keep your natural lashes healthy and strong.
- We recommend coming in every 2 to 3 weeks for maintenance refills.
- DO NOT USE OIL-BASED OR WATER-PROOF MASCARA.
- Waterproof mascara or any type of oil based mascara can dissolve the bonding agent and shorten the life of your eyelash extensions causing them to fall sooner. Care also needs to be taken in washing off the mascara. Only use a water based eye makeup remover.
- The adhesive is waterproof and allows you to shower, swim, exercise etc. We do recommend however that you do not wash your eye area for about 12- 24 hours after the eyelash application. Special care is required but overall maintenance is low.